Thread: Proposal: Cbj-nyr
View Single Post
01-14-2013, 06:21 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Their D is actually pretty solid on paper, I think they'd rather a good pair than a good young player
Their D is ok, still shaky though. As much as I love JMFJ (one of my favorites in the league), he's somewhat shaky defensively and so is Wisniewski. Tyutin and Nikitin are probably their best pair in terms of defensive play, but offensively don't give you a ton, Nikitin has the potential to do so.

Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Speculative at best.
So you're telling me that Columbus wouldn't be thrilled to have a 21 year old that finished 12th in Norris Voting after scoring 10 goals and 40 points in 2012?

They must have a luxury of great defensemen then.

You're starting from the assumption that Columbus is rebuilding. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.
So they're in win now mode then? I don't see where else they would be. It may not be the full blown Pittsburgh Penguins "rebuild", but it sure doesn't look like they're looking to win a cup or be a legitimate cup contender.

There's a team on the ice that has seen massive turnover in the last two years, and is currently one of the youngest in the league (and had the most players active during the lockout). Are the pieces in place already, and now we just need to see how they mature and grow together?
That's fair, but I don't see how they wouldn't love to have a solid young piece with a lot of room to grow that's played very well.

The two oldest players on the team are Vinny Prospal and Adrian Aucoin, both of whom are on one-year contracts. After that is Derek MacKenzie, who's 31. Several key players aren't even close to their prime yet.

What would be gained from basically gutting the defensive core? Why should impatience rule the day?
I'm not advocating anything, people are just saying this is a horrible trade for Columbus. I think it's just as bad, if not worse for NY. We've already seen what Tyutin can do and it hasn't changed much since his days in NY. Solid defensively, not a #1 shutdown pairing kind of guy on a championship contending team, but good enough to log those minutes in a pinch. Shows you the offensive flashes that you thought would have catapulted him to a legit #1 defender that have never came to be. Nikitin is a young, more offensive type that has a bit of a higher upside than Tyutin. To me, he's more of what Tyutin should have became.

Two good assets for one very solid asset. Usually, the team that gets the best player wins the trade. Columbus would be winning this trade. The extra crap involved can be removed. It doesn't benefit either team.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote