View Single Post
Old
01-14-2013, 08:16 PM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
People keep mentioning the Price and Pacioretty signings, but forget that Price signed a 2-yr bridge deal the summer Halak beat him out for the no 1 job, carried us into the ECF and then got traded. Even then he got $5.5 over 2.

Pacioretty was coming off his breakout half season that was cut short and there was speculation on how good he'd be coming back. So they signed him to a 2 yr deal.

PK has been our no 1 or 2 dman for the past 2 years. I would also rather see him get a bridge deal but I don't think the Price/Pacioretty comparisons are totally fair.

I wouldn't hesitate to sign him long term...the only question to me is this - will he be a no 2-3 d man who eats minutes and puts up 35-45 pts or will he be a no 1-2 d man who will eat minutes and 50-60+?

For now, I'd say give him 5 x 5. Might be a whole lot better than the deal he'd get if he signs for 2 yrs and puts up 50-60 (pro-rated) pts a year...that would be a 8 x 7 type of deal...
Bingo. Neither of them were "the man" then and signed based off of potential. Subban IS "the man" and has been for 2 seasons now. IMO he's not in the same category as Max and Price when they signed their second deals. He is a #1 dman and should be paid as such. In the 5M range is fair IMO