View Single Post
Old
01-14-2013, 10:29 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
The title of the thread is half-cute, half-serious.

The "1 year surgical" is the serious part. The point is that we have the opportunity to complete in 2 years what most teams take many more years to do. I list my arguments why that is, but:
- our vets like Cole, Plekanec, Markov still have decent value.
- Soon, our young prospects like Galchenyuk will make us too good to finish bottom 5.
- The 2013 draft rocks, it is a great year to stockpile picks.
It's high precision, therefore it's surgical. It's not like what other teams do when they realize they suck at the trade deadline, and end up trading whoever isn't injured at the last minute, if their fanbases are lucky.

The "tank" part is the cute part. Some of you are seriously lacking a sense of humour, you need to be able to laugh at yourself in life. Yes we should be excited when the team excels, like in 2007-08. But the team can't excel all the time, and when a clusterfudge happens like last year, and Brad Staubitz becomes the most exciting player on the team, you should take it in stride. Buy some tickets and some jerseys and drink some beer over the games either way.

If you want to call it tanking / transition / development / evaluation / rebuilding, whatever, call it what you want, the difference is semantics to me, and part of the reason I'm not going into politics is that I'm not into the cult of the euphemism. The underlying point is the same, players and coaches need to give 100% every game, whereas management needs to prioritize the future over the present because we have no present.