Thread: Latvia: Latvian prospects
View Single Post
01-14-2013, 11:05 PM
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Going a bit off topic here but I noticed that many of the Latvian players share a striking resemblance to scandinavians ex. Blueger, Dzerins while others resemble eastern europeans slavs . My understanding was that people from these country as well as the other baltic nations have both Scandinavian ancestry as well as Slavic, is this correct? Forgive me I didn't know where else to ask and wanted an answer from a true Latvian.
I can somewhat imagine where you are coming from, but you sure do picked poor (to put it mildly) examples for Scandinavian influence. Blueger, actually is a nickname, and Džeriņš is as Latvian as it gets. Girgensons is a rare one, but it has that striking ending of an Scandinavian last name (but we have thousands of people named Jansons, Pētersons, etc. That said we probably don't even have 5% Scandinavian in average Latvian (unless you count some Finnish blood Scandinavian as well), Sweden simply was relevant in what know is day modern Latvia/Estonia a couple of centuries back when rulers of the land thought it would be nice to invent official last names here as well. Lots of Germanic, not Scandinavian last names in general here.

Our ties with Slavic world are much more tighter and we can surely speak about some serious ancestry, yet we are still nothing like Slavs. When it comes to modern days we can still fairly easily spot who is a Latvian and who is a Slavic person although lately the borders are becoming blurry and you can never be sure where Latvian ends and Russian speaking person starts, see Oļegs Sorokins (more Latvian than probably I am ) and then there's Artūrs Kulda, who doesn't give interviews in Latvian at all.

This last paragraph is a touchy one even 20 years after we regained our independence, but you can be sure that we'll cheer Ņikita Jevpalovs' goals just as loud as Roberts Lipsbergs' (hey again Scandinavian?) ones as long as they both sport that sexy Latvian maroon.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote