View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 12:12 AM
Ducksgo*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGrizzly View Post
It's pretty hard to find players under contract for 5-8 years max who are around the same age as Getzlaf and Perry and have accomplished as much as they have, when they signed their contracts. For example, Toews signed his current contract before he won his Cup, Conn Smythe, and Olympic Gold. Kopitar signed his before winning the Cup. The Sedins signed their contracts before winning their Art Ross', Hart (Henrik) and Lindsay (Daniel), although they did have Olympic Golds when they signed. Getzlaf and Perry could easily demand more money than those players. Two comparables that stick out to me are Eric Staal for Getzlaf and Nash for Perry.

Staal is on a 7 year, $57.75 million deal that he signed when he was only 23, but had a Cup and WC Gold to his name. He was already a top center in the game, with a 100 point season to prove it. His cap hit is $8.25 million and is earning over $9 million in the last three years of the deal. I could see Getzlaf's contract being similar to this, but he has more leverage Staal had when he got his deal, being captain, 4 years older, and an Olympic Gold which Staal didn't have at the time.

Nash is on an 8 year, 62.4M contract, was 25 when he signed and other than winning a Richard trophy, accomplished nothing in the NHL. Had won a WC Gold but signed his contract before winning gold in 2010. He was however the face of a struggling franchise who were basically forced to give him whatever he wanted. Perry could also demand equal or more money than Nash got.

I could see both Getzlaf and Perry wanting upwards of $60-65 million over 8 years. There's a good chance someone is willing to pay $60 over 7 for these guys in free agency. If they settle for a cap hit of around 7.5 for the Ducks, I'd be happy. Could easily get upwards of 8 though.
My point exactly. This is what I was trying to say the whole time Soj. Perry and Getz needs to be signed to a Staal / Nash type contract. Very good post Grizzly thank you for the research!