View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 02:20 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Considering there's about a 12-15% chance of a 3rd round pick having any sort of career in the NHL, I don't think a 3rd round pick is worth $500,000 or whatever the cost of that is. And considering there's probably only a 1 in 5 chance of Barker even playing that well (that's being really charitable, but for argument's sake I'll give you 20%), you're looking at a 2.5 million dollar "risk" for a 3rd round pick? I don't see it.

I think it's just bad scouting.
The hypothetical 3rd rounder can be used in a trade etc so theres value there. And you cannot "buy" a pick with cash.

The risk is whatever Barker takes up. His salary, position on the team, contract spot.

2.5 million is not absolute and you havent put it in context. IE what is the risk with other players/options.

$700,000 may seem like a lot to you but its beans to the Nucks. Obviously they think they can do a fixer upper and get something out of him as they have tried with others. Im doubtful its "bad" scouting as MG and his righthand men wont be going into this based purely on what they are told. Its not their MO. Theyve worked the numbers etc as much if not more than HF posters.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote