View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 06:17 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post

Monfils looking good against Dolgopolov in the first. Nice to see Gael back; I missed him....Alexandr saves two set points on his way to taking the tie breaker. The momentum would definitely seem to be his. Monfils is back to throwing a lot of softballs, and now that Dolgopolov's service game has picked up that is not likely going to be a successful strategy...

...on serve, 3-3 in the second but now Dolgolpolov is completely dictating the match and Gael is in full retriever mode....another tie breaker and this time Monfils pulls it out. Alexandr looks displeased. Can't blame him....

Monfils breaks for 2-0 in the third. Some nice shot making as he seems re-energized....Alexandr breaks right back. If he keeps his head he should win this match....both players showing off some skills. Wow....but all it leads to is another lost service game for Alexandr, 3-1...but no one seems to be able to hold serve, 3-2 as Dolgopolov breaks back. That's four straight service breaks....amazingly it happens again and Monfils moves to 4-2....finally Gael holds easily for 5-2....Gael serves it out 6-3, and now he's in the driver seat. Entertaining match....should have been in bed hours ago but now I'm hooked.

Dolgopolov struggles but holds to start the fourth. Gael is just making him hit a lot more balls than he would like....I think that's the third service game Monfils has lost on a double fault, 2-0 Alexandr...so naturally Gael breaks right back. Neither guy's serve is much of a mystery to the other at this point....Alex was winning his fair share of points at the net in the first two sets. Not anymore. Monfils passing shots have become deadly....constant pressure from Monfils earns another break and a huge one, 3-2...medical time out for Dolgopolov as his upper thigh on his left leg seems to be bothering him. May be just a tactic to cool off Gael who is in the zone at the moment, but Alexandr did have the trainer out during the previous turnover....didn't cool him off, though, 4-2...huge service game coming up....but Alexandr goes down love-40, almost makes it back to deuce but then pounds a makeable ground stroke into the net, 5-2...Gael quickly blows the next service game at love with two more double faults bringing him to 14 double faults for the match, 5-3...and on the second match point, Gael breaks serve again for the match. 11 service breaks in the match, all of them in the last two sets. Weird statistic, that....What a great way for Monfils to begin the new year. Terrific win.
Knew that was going to be a good match, too bad I didn't catch it but thanks for recounting it very detailed

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote