View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 08:37 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryph View Post
Hey guys I have recently moved to Winnipeg and have quickly fallen in love with the team. I was formerly a Leaf fan but in recent years have found their corporate ownership to be unbearable as a fan. They will always hold a soft spot in my heart, but Chipman and Thomson's ownership group has been a fantastic breath of fresh air so far.

Anyway, my question has to do with Wellwood's style of play. There is no doubt his statistics have been much improved since he was run out of Toronto but does he still play that one dimensional offensive passing game or has he improved on his defense and shooting abilities? When he played in Toronto he used a ridiculously short stick that helped him to back nifty dekes and passes, but also resulted in horrific shooting abilities.
He still doesn't shoot much, but pass first works when playing with Kaner.

People crap on him for his defensive play, but I think it is largely unfounded. Sure, he isn't built to play the body, but I think he does an excellent job with his positioning and his stick. There were a number of times last year where he played a one on one perfectly and steered the oncoming player into the boards or into a linemate with smart positional play. He isn't an elite shut down player, but he isn't a liability.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote