View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 09:50 AM
ORYX

vCash: 500
Where the Flyers have success in drafting in the first round of late, is that the players they take have strong defensive aptitude, with their defensive play being a strong element of their game.

Looking back at the past, drafting players with single dimensions didnt really work out as well as planned I would imagine. JVR is gone, Carter gone, Williams gone, a bunce of D players gone. Then you look at where the real value was received in a trade and look no further then Richards going to LA as a very strong two way player. Steve downie was a strong two way player. Too bad he had to leave.

Giroux was mostly one dimensional but of the last very long time, he is one of the only offensive players to really flurish as a Flyers draft pick.

Most recently we have Courturier and Laughton, which I believe we will continue to see the Flyers draft strong defensive players. Couturier also has a high offensive ceiling, which should continue to grow at the pro level.

Where am I going with all this? While I feel Laughton possesses the defensive ability etc, he isnt where the other players were offensively when they came in and made the club better. IMO he only sticks around for 5 games or Briere is healthy because he still has maturing to do at the junior level. He does not fit the mold of an NHL ready player like others in the past have.

I'd be afraid to stunt his growth with limited minutes, and we're likely talking quite a bit less then Couturier last season.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote