View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Halifaxhab*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I think it is pretty well established on this site that, in general,

Undrafted prospects > drafted prospects > young NHL players > established NHL players.

Thus, a year before his draft, when Couturier was in contention (or leading) for the #1 overall pick, he was Eric Staal. When he was drafted, he was Jordan Staal. Now, he's something between Jordan Staal and Martin Hanzal. There might be reasons for all those comparisons--and more--but I don't understand how his presumed stock has fallen since 2011, given his success.

Anyway, on this deal, I suspect the Flyers would pass. They take too much risk--the bust-rate of high-end D is simply too high, and the Flyers are hardly known for developing defensemen. Could Jones be a franchise-caliber 1D? Yes. But if the Flyers were willing to part with Couturier, I suspect they could secure a young top-pairing D who is far more proven.

(All that said, I'm not sure why MTL would do it either, with Galchenyuk, Eller, Leblanc, etc. in the system).

Just my $.02. It certainly isn't a horrible proposal value wise. But there are too many variables and question marks.

Love this post. Especially the highlighted portion!

Jones or Couturier.....that is the question. IMHO, I'd go with Jones.

Couturier getting more icetime, and following a regular progression...he'll be a solid #2 C and could round out into C who can slot in as a #1 in a pinch (and he'll be a 60-80 pt per season player guaranteed).

I know MTL is deep at D prospects, but a big, physical puck mover who can play 30 mins a game. This kid has the potential to play a similar style to Pronger. We all know how a player like that can change a team's fortunes.

Now you'd have Jones on the ice for 30+ mins a game and Subban for 30+ mins a game. Your top 4 just got better as you have at least one stud dman on the ice at any given time. add in solid support in the form of Gorges, Emelin, Markov (if he's ever healthy) and up and comers Beaulieu, Tinordi and to a lesser extent Thrower and Ellis and yopu have the makings of a really solid core to help Price.

All that said, I don't see the Habs getting a top 3 pick this season...maybe a top 10 if they repeat their miserable season from last year.....but I don't think so.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote