View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 11:32 AM
JR303

vCash: 500
It seems like a lifetime ago, back before the 2004 lockout. Legwand stole the puck shorthanded, broke in and scored on the Wings in our first home playoff game. The video is in the first post, and it's intense, but you just can't describe the feeling in the building that day.

ESPN was there to cover the series, since DET was the pinnacle of the NHL world and the Predators were an upstart to say the least. Before the game, the commentator was being interviewed, but he couldn't hear the studio in his headset, and the studio couldn't hear a word he was saying. It was so incredibly loud and raucous that he just shrugged his shoulders, and gave up. I saw the clip after I got home from the game, that's the only way I even knew it was going on.

The goal happened shortly after that and I have to say that the only time I've ever felt that building move that much (yes, move) was during one of the tornado warnings. There was an electricity in the building that just cannot be described.

I'm not trying to diminish any other moments, but all the years of being poked fun at, ridiculed and struggling to become a legitimate team culminated into that one moment so long ago. If you were there, you won't ever forget it.

The first time out ovation was close, but just not the same. I can still remember Weber absolutely crushing someone on the next shift after the ovation, but you could hear the crowd crescendo in the few seconds anticipating the hit. It was beautiful.

The fact that I had to surrender my season tickets a few years ago still weighs on me at times, and reading back through all of these makes me wish I still had them. It's great to have hockey back.

JR303 is online now   Reply With Quote