View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Patrice Bergeron, who is a good comparison defensively but has a higher offensive upside got a second deal of 5 years at $4.75M/year cap hit.

I don't think if O'Reilly asks for $4M/year for 5 years it is unreasonable. If he asks for $5M/year, I'd probably want him to stay in Russia for another 18 months and then trade him after that. You can't instantly reward getting blackmailed by agents by trading him now. O'Reilly made his bed here. He is squeezing Avs and have to accept there is some risk associated with that.

Hopefully both sides come to their senses and realize it's in the best interest of everyone to sign a reasonable deal and move on. I don't think there are any hard feelings between Doughty and Kings.
There's a reason why Kings is the defending champion while Avs have not exactly made serious Cup runs on this decade. Kings understands that when you have the best players, it costs money. For Avs the idea is that when you have the best players, the right reaction is "We need to save to sign our young key players".