View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I don't know much about whether he's being traded soon or anything like that... again, I don't know scouts or GMs or agents. Just players. All I know is that when things were close, the Avs started pointing out major deficiencies in O'Ry... the response was that he's one of the best defensive players of the past 25 years and a bigger leader/means more than $6.6 Paul or $3.5 Matty.

I mentioned last year how much this guy cares about anything, he's a passionate person and that comes from his mom. Some of the things said have really strained the relationship between O'Reilly and the Avs.

If they can hash this stuff out, all the better and I will be happy to be wrong. As of now, the relationship is very poor. Intermediaries for discussions, etc. It's ugly.
This sounds like an arbitration process, but that plays out that way because the team has to say it in front of the player. I blame his agent for taking his stance, and then telling O'Reilly everything that the team says in response.

For him to take the ridiculously subjective, and unprovable stance of him being the best in the last 25 years, of course the Avalanche are going to counter with reasons from the other end of the spectrum as to why he's not the best, and question marks in his game and his role on the team.

For him to let O'Reilly take that personally and to heart is a problem. He as an agent is approaching this from a business standpoint, and so are the Avs, and he's then using their stance to enpassion his client into taking the hardline stance he wants to. I'm sure Mark Guy isn't taking it personally, he just needs O'Reilly to in order for him not to cave.