View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 12:33 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Sign Jones and Parenteau for 4 years and $16 million, and yet these guys are balking at O'Reilly's demands!?

Bottom line, the Avs said they were waiting to spend big until a new CBA was in place. I'm not expecting them to break out giant suitcases full of money now that the CBA has been ratified, but when they're seemingly reluctant to re-sign their best player to the raise he's entitled to...I can't help but think they're not putting their money where their mouth is.

Look, I can totally see them signing Duchene to a prove-your-worth contract after the horrendous year he had. But one thing a friend pointed out to me was that defensive forwards never have bad years defensively. And last year ROR proved beyond a doubt he's a force at both ends of the ice and can play in all situations. This should NEVER have gone beyond the lockout--it's officially a farce, and the Avs have no one but themselves to blame.
You are misjudging the situation here.
I am in the Avs are cheap camp but they are rightfully cheap here.

This is a RFA negotiation and not an UFA negotiation. The leverage lies with the team and not the player. Jones and PAP were UFAs. They had the leverage. If we don't pay up they walk or go elsewhere.

With all the young guys, the Avs are trying to keep those second contracts low. That sets a standard. And I like the "bridge-contracts" which keep the money low, and give the young guys a chance to prove themselves. Than the Avs pay them but they don't have to overpay because they are still RFA ( that is why I am not a fan of the EJ contract).

ROR did something stupid. He took business negotiations seriously.
Those negotiations are all about money and leverage. You must not take anything said there personally.
He did. Now he will get traded. And I hate it.

I stand with Sherman on his second contract stance, though!