View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
If Dater's article is right with the comparables his agent is using, he's way off base.

Firstly, Winnipeg overpaid for Kane, who is also a highly touted 4th overall pick, that has outscored O'Reilly each of the last two years. Winnipeg also has to overpay for players, because they have trouble bringing in UFA's like Edmonton does.

More importantly, the Krejci comparison is ridiculous. He's on his 3rd contract, and the one that should be a comparison if any was his second. Guess what his second contract was? Three years with a $3.75M cap hit. He also was coming off a 73 point season, and had two nearly PPG playoff runs under his belt.

As Dater mentioned, another comparison is Duchene, and even Giroux's contract. He was coming off his ELC in 2011, and a 76 point season, and he signed the very same three year $3.75M per deal that Krejci signed.

Offense pays in this league. Not character and two way play at his age. Some offensive players get paid long term on their second contracts, but two way guys almost always have to wait till they're UFA's, or upcoming UFA's. If players like Krejci and Giroux are coming off 73 and 76 point seasons at the same age, and signing at $3.75M, O'Reilly and his agent have no business trying to make favorable comparisons.
This is what I'm thinking as well. Krejci's second deal is what they should be comparing to, and $3.75m would be a very fair offer. The $17m over 5 years ($3.4m/year) offer is more than fair IMO, assuming it's true. Trying to compare to Datsyuk, Krejci's newest offer, Thornton, Bergeron, or whoever is just delusional.

Speaking of Bergeron's, his second contract, which was $4.75m, is one that I've been thinking about. If O'Reilly thinks he's comparable then he could easily point to that as his worth. The obvious rebuttle is Bergeron had (and still has) better production, but I could see it being discussed.