View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 03:04 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Not necessarily. Martinek has a dormant offensive game. AMac on his flank will allow him to play more in the offensive zone. Everyone remember when he went out of character and took a rush up the ice for a beautiful goal a few years back? Combine his smart defense with an awakened offensive game and we're not that bad. Physical D, two puck rushers, a young two way guy with all the tools, two physical defensemen (one stay at home) and we have something. Not GREAT but a decent mix.
Actually... I can't believe I'm saying this... but I'm starting to feel pretty good about this defense. A few things will need to happen, but all of them are actually possible, IMO.

First off I expect Streit to play with Martinek on the 2nd pairing. I think this is actually smart, because it separates our two best defenders(Hamonic/Streit) and "spreads the wealth" a bit. I think the 3 main things that need to happen are 1)Hamonic needs to take that next step and cement himself as a top-pairing guy, 2) Streit needs to return to pre-injury form, where he was arguably a pretty good #2, and 3)Martinek needs to stay healthy.

#3 might be the most farfetched, but still possible. If these things happen, we should be OK. AMac and Hamonic have proven to be solid, and have proven they can eat up big minutes. That Streit-Martinek pairing could actually be pretty damn good, again depending on the two things I mentioned. That leaves the 3rd pairing with Carkner-Hickey/?. I think it's entirely possible for a guy like Hickey to get his change of scenery and establish himself as a reasonable #5 or 6. Honestly, that's all we will need him to be as long as these other guys come through.

Obviously Visnovsky would help a lot, but at this point I don't think it would be the end of the world if he doesn't come over.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote