View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
PK reminds me of Chris Chelios. He is has a good motor, good shot, passing is decent, can hit and has an edge. However, he is not Chris Chelios, his hockey sense needs to go up as does his defensive play. But he certainly has real potential to be an elite D-man.
These negotiations are frustrating, in part, because nothing has leaked except there are issues with money and term, gee. I want a 2 year deal because it will give the Habs 2 remaining years of RFA status to leverage into a long term deal, and the 2 years should show us what PK is capable of and then we pay accordingly. I would love to know what is gumming up the works, is PK looking for elite player money now over lots of years or is MB stuck at $6M over 2 , etc. I dont want to lose PK, if he is a Number 1 D-man, those are about the hardest guys to come across. But based on what PK has shown so far you just cant throw Doughty money at him, it would be reckless. I guess the most I would do is say if he was elite he would get $7-8M per as a UFA. Since he hasnt shown that yet I will go $6M. As an RFA I will say $4.5M for 4 years, thats $18M. Two years of UFA is another $12M, so $30M over 6 years. Id rather wait the 2 years and look at paying him more, but if PK is hell bent on a long term deal then this is what i would offer.
That's nice and all, but I doubt Subban signs for an average of 5M per if Myers, who's generally considered as an inferior defenseman, get's 5,5M.

I'd go for 7/40M.