View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 04:02 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't think so. Kane, Benn, Subban, Couture, Pacioretty, McDonagh and Shattenkirk are all extremely good players. The first three are certainly stars in this league. It's also produced a high number of "solid" guys like Hagelin, Alzner, Gagner, Simmonds, Perron, Eller, Voracek, Sutter and JVR.

A few guys like Brendan Smith and Matt Frattin are likely to break into the league this year as well. It wasn't a stellar draft, but 99 and 96 were worse. That being said, they did produce a lot of guys who had, or are having, long careers in the league.

In terms of star power, it's weak. At least to date. You only have a couple of real impact guys. Longevity means little to me in terms of comparing drafts of the past because the post-lockout NHL has been extremely friendly and generous to draftees in terms of playing time, simply because theyre so cheap.

The way I rate "star power" is top-10 scoring, postseason awards, postseason award voting and postseason all-star teams.

Outside of Kane and maybe Benn, it lacks star power. At least to date, which was my original point.

The 2008 draft has already produced three postseason all-star team guys, including a Norris and Richard winner.