View Single Post
01-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Advanced Stagnostic
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
If that's the case then I'd like to think we make a big push to sign Perry and Getz asap, even if it costs a bit more than we like. In the off season Bobby could fetch a darn good price with 2 years still remaining on a very good contract. With next year's cap dropping from $70.something to $64.3 somebody should be willing to pay up for him.
Well, it's not just "say goodbye to Bobby", it's basically "say goodbye to another expensive forward" for the next near-decade, which is what we need to be aware of. Even finding comparably cheap good second line players for $4M a year will give us a hell of a hard time. If it really came to Getzlaf/Pears asking for $8M each, we'd likely soon start laughing at having complained about being a one-line team before. It's a very, very difficult basis to build anything around.

And as I stated elsewhere, I think this is a turning point for the future of this franchise.
It no doubt is.

If we do not make a giant effort to sign these two guys now, when will we ever show a desire to go the extra mile?
I don't know if I'd go that far. Just because our last few years - safe for last year mainly for reasons very other than Getzlaf and Perry, to be fair - haven't exactly put us to a point where one would have to conclude that this is a core working to that special degree that puts it above questioning. I don't think we're in a situation where it's beyond viable rationalisation to blow a bit of the core up. Not that I'd ask for that, but I don't think this group has done enough to have earned that very rare spot beyond that shadow of a doubt.

If we don't sign those two now, what are the chances Bobby would want to stay anyway, in two years? Seems like Bobby could be gone either way. One way we have Perry and Getz, the other way we don't have any of the three.
It's entirely speculation, but I actually don't get the impression that Ryan is wired that way. I think he's rather emotional in certain aspects, and I believe there's aspects he values higher. I might be entirely off on that.

Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
There's no reason to assume the team is not making a herculean effort to sign them both.
No question. I mean, I can philosophize about us getting in trouble with a $16M pair on one line, but at the end of the day, Ducks fans won't let Murray stop hearing it for a long time if he loses either, no matter what the situation ends up like.