View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
I don't believe this was mentioned when the goalie prospects were tossed around earlier, but Spencer Martin of Mississauga comes from a family of Sabres STH. He's the top-ranked goalie prospect coming out of the OHL this year.

Quote:
Martin grew up in the GTA, plays for a team that sports Toronto Maple Leafs colours and cites former Leaf star Curtis Joseph as his inspiration to join the goalie fraternity. However, he cites the Buffalo Sabres' Ryan Miller as his NHL role model. The Martin family, including father Allan, mother Karen and younger sister Allison ("she's my biggest fan, she's made so many sacrifices for me" Spencer says), actually follow the Sabres.

"We've had season tickets in Buffalo since the last lockout," Martin says. "I watch a lot of Ryan Miller. I'm his biggest fan. I saw him when he was first coming into the league and now when he's winning Vezinas. It's a little bit of a drive, but it was worth it."

Link: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...hockey,wp15517
Quote:
Like any young goaltender, Martin is currently going through a tough stretch right now. He started the year off carrying the Steelheads on his back, something that couldn't be expected to continue. The guys at McKeen's suggest an injury may be a hindrance moving forward. "In recent weeks he has struggled a bit playing against stronger Western teams however there has been speculation that Martin is playing with a knee injury that may require surgery at the end of the season." That said, one contributor absolutely loves his attitude. "Even when this kid gets shelled and gives up a few he still has the attitude to be sitting on his teams bench vocally encouraging his mates. Love this kids skill, natural talents and attitude and NHL teams will likely too." Even if he's struggled a tad lately, he possesses the qualities that NHL teams covet in goaltenders these days, something nearly every contributor echoed. McKeen's summed it up best, "Martin is extremely economical as he limits his movements and plays an unflappable butterfly style making good use of his size to cover the top portion of the goal. At 6’2, 195 he certainly boasts the size NHL teams covet in a goalie." There were multiple mentions of him needing to improve his rebound control though, again not out of the ordinary for a young netminder.

Link: http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/201...ia-top-10.html