View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
It's becoming an awful situation and one I find myself flip flopping on constantly.

Subban has every right to ask for a 5+ year deal when you look around the league at what other young stars have gotten coming out of their ELC. That was the market pre-lockout and the cap is not going down significantly in years 1 and 2 of this CBA.

But at the same time, Bergevin has every right to feel like has the leverage since Subban is a RFA with no arbitration rights. The only leverage Subban and Meehan have is an offer sheet or the threat of it.

Still, I find Bergy's reported ''it has to be 2 years for the 2nd contract'' policy to be stubborn.

Subban hears everyone say Max Pac-Price-Subban is the trio we are building around, he sees those other 2 get 6 year deals this summer...AND Max Pac is only a few months older, they were in the same draft class, Max has arguably done less in the NHL than P.K. ...so of course Subban wants that type of deal too.

What if this team starts 1-4 with Subban not signed? What do you think the fans will be chanting by the end of that 5th game vs Winnipeg? This could become an epic disaster for the Habs brass from a PR standpoint. On the other hand, if this team is 4-1 after 5 games, Subban loses some of his leverage. It's a tight rope act for both sides.

I'd give him the 5+ years personally. It's like buying a stock of an emerging company - it's hard to imagine Subban won't improve from where he is now. What is the worst that can happen, you sign him to that deal, something happens and you want to move him by year 2 or 3? You'd still get a nice return. If giving him 5+ years ''ruffles feathers in the locker room'', then it's further proof that this team is going nowhere until we turn the leadership of the team to the actual core group instead of the aging brigade that is currently in leadership roles.

All of this is why I don't want to burn Galchenyuk's ELC this year. If we do burn it this year, in summer 2015 will probably be having these same convos about him I suspect if Bergevin still has this stubborn 2nd contract policy: ''oh but we can't give him a big deal now even though he's a star, he's only played 2 and half seasons in the league, gotta give him a bridge contract!''.