View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I can't say for sure but I could offer guesses...

Matteau tried to play for the US at the U18's and was denied based on the fact he had not played in the US for two consecutive years after the age of 13. However, that age limit was not stated anywhere within the IIHF Statues and Bylaws at the time he applied to play. Furthermore, it wasn't clear if the two year requirement meant two seasons or two calender years, the former of which would have arguably been covered by his time with the NTDP. Either of those could have been used as arguments in USA Hockey's appeal and the fact that the language used by the IIHF was changed to clarify indicates to me they probably came up. Thus an exception would be made for Matteau that is now likely closed for future use.

Galchenyuk's case is less clear. I'd imagine surrendering his Russian citizenship probably played into it though that issue seems to be covered by the IIHF's rules now. It's also possible he has some record of hockey registration from a very young age while he lived in the US, though that seems less likely. It's much less clear to me than the Matteau situation though and I'd guess we'll never know for sure.

Assuming the IIHF enforces their rules as written from now on it seems unlikely players will be granted such exceptions. Here are the relevent sections if you'd like to read them yourself...
I suppose dropping the Russian passport could do it, thereby making him no longer a dual citizen. Otherwise reading the rules you have to conclude that they count the CHL as a US league. That, or they are just making crap up.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote