View Single Post
Old
01-15-2013, 11:24 PM
silkyjohnson50*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
If you consider how many of the teams they lost to went on to win the Cup, it's pretty convincing that they were always THE team to beat in many ways.

I think a lot of people underestimated the 2007 team. Burke said, after the Ducks went on to win, that the series that had him the most worried was the one with the Wings. He said they also were a lot tougher physically than most observers would acknowledge-- and coming from Burke, that's really saying a lot. I don't recall the entire interview now, but the impression I had was he felt the biggest battle the Ducks would face and did face in their Cup win that year was Detroit, so he certainly knew how good they were. It's not surprising then, in retrospect, to see them go back to back for the next two seasons with essentially the same team (adding Stuart in 2008, and noting that the 2007 team lost Kronwall and Schneider (#2 D).
Yeah I remember that as well. From my recollection, he was especially referring to Datsyuk and Zetterberg - and their inability to get thrown off their games when teams played tough/physical. A lot of "skilled" players gets thrown off their game/intimidated when teams are running them, but those two really seemed to feed off it that postseason. That postseason run went a long, long way for Detroit's future success IMO.

silkyjohnson50* is offline   Reply With Quote