View Single Post
Old
01-16-2013, 12:15 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
Anyone wonder why we keep stating a #2 C? Would the idea be to move Hanzal back a line?

Was just kind of wondering what other people's insights are, but I really think that some of this has to do with concern about the face-off rules. Hanzal won a ton of face-offs by simply using his leverage to tie up the stick, and then he would glove the puck back to a D-man. A lot of these wins occurred on crucial face-offs toward the end of games in our defensive zone. I believe this is now a penalty.

It is an issue that concerns me, as I see this being a small hindrance that will make Hanzal better at working face-offs in the long run, but he may have an adjustment period as the season goes. Kind of has me worried that if this is a part of the game that Hanzal his trouble with at any point, it is the type of thing that affects whether or not Hanzal's point production moves up or stays flat this year.
Hanzal will match up against most, if not all opposing team's #1 centers. It doesn't matter what you call his line, it won't change his role. I think Maloney is trying to ice two lines that can generate consistent offensive pressure. That's the goal in landing a "#2" center imo. Plus, he knows he isn't going to be able to trade for a #1 so might as well make that clear right from the start.