View Single Post
Old
01-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Capitano

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxN View Post
Why are you comparing Subban's contract situation with players who signed as UFA? Totally different world. Why would you want to buy Subban's UFA eligibilty at year 3 of his career? We can do that 2 years from now. We'd still own his rights. He'd play his ass off to prove he really deserves the big contract. It's smart managing.

You'd be a better player agent than GM.
I agree with you, you can't use UFAs as a comparison, just like they can't do that in arbitration to compare.

It's quite simple again...as an RFA the habs hold the hammer...as a UFA the player holds the hammer...it's that simple. The habs want to hold the hammer again in the next round of negotiations before they commit to a long term deal. And if you ask me it's simply a risk mitigating tactic to avoid giving huge contracts to young players...giving huge dollars to a young guy can destroy a player on the spot in a lot of cases so the habs are simply trying to nurture him along rather than throw it all at him now at his age.

PK is a great player, but nobody is bigger than the team. I'm not saying we should trade him...but I can totally see him sitting for a month or two before we eventually sign him for our terms.