View Single Post
Old
01-16-2013, 10:37 AM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Yup, points in the junior level do not mean much, there are many other factors to be considered if the players game can translate to the NHL. I also do not think WHL is the best development league either.

Emerson Etem scored 61 goals in 65 games last season for the Medicine Hat Tigers. The entire prospect board was in a uproar that he is the next Mike Bossy in the making, claiming that he was the steal of the draft and a guaranteed NHL star.

He is now playing in the AHL and has scored 9 goals, 1 assist in 34 games.
That'd be 21 goals over a season for a rookie in his first year of pro hockey.

Players like Etem have a 'specialty' skillset...they score goals, no matter what league, they can put the puck in the net.

I would say Jensen is our only prospect with this type of skill.

I agree points aren't the best indicator if you can scout the 'tools' of a player. It's why I am so high on Lazar, he has a great shot, thinks and plays the game at a high level, and while his production has underwhelmed, I'd say its just his lack of assists that people get hung up on.

19 goals is good for 30th in the WHL, in a season where most would suggest he's struggling, is pretty good.

----------

Tiranis you can't tell me you've watched Kelowna and not questioned whether we should have taken Severson.

He looks good. It took me a while to warm up to Mallet, and I still hope the best for him, but he's a reach pick in the 2nd round.

His upside is trememdous, and he's on an absolute tear right now production wise.

I still wish we could have drafted both, and I still believe we could have.