View Single Post
Old
01-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Indisputable Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think it's perfectly valid to question who was the best goalie in 1953-54. Also, when did I say Lumley didn't deserve his 1AS? I said at one point that I found it questionable that Lumley never came close to being a 1AS except in the 2 seasons that he led the league in GAA and wondered whether he was actually better than Sawchuk, given the fact that Sawchuk was in the middle of his 5 year peak at the time. Before anyone voted on Lumley, I noticed that he also got a lot of Hart votes in those two years. Now I see that Lumley placed highly (higher than Rollins, in fact) in a player's poll as to the best player

This is an indisputable fact: From 1935-1956, the 1st Team All Star was the goalie with the best GAA, with the exception of 1953 when the GAA leader (who happened to be Rollins) only played 40 of 70 games. I don't think anyone thinks the GAA leader is always the best goalie in the modern league; why would it be true back then? The 2AS wasn't nearly so attached to GAA.

Another fact that you can try to dispute, but I don't see how: There is no way a goalie on a team that finishes last by a large margin, whose GAA is worse than any other goalie in the league by a wide margin, would even come close to winning the Hart Trophy in modern times.

But the same writers had him 3rd in All Star voting, well behind Lumley and Sawchuk when voting for the best goalies in the league:
GOALTENDER: (292/324, 162-130) Harry Lumley, Tor 127 (57-70); Terry Sawchuk, Det 95 (35-60); Al Rollins, Chi (54-); Gerry McNeil, Mtl (13-); Jim Henry, Bos (3-)

The players seem to have had Rollins 2nd among goalies to Lumley that year (which certainly makes one wonder about Sawchuk's supposedly untouchable peak, doesn't it).
Indisputable facts are that Rollins only played in 40 games in 1951 not 1953.

As for the relationship between the GAA leader and the 1st AST between 1935 and 1956 the following facts cannot be disputed.

Total of 22 seasons are under review. During 13 of the 22 season the difference in actual goals between the GAA average leader and the second place finisher, team or combo, ranged between 14 and 65. Yet a compelling case has never been presented let alone made that a 2nd to last place finisher was actually a better goalie than the GA leader. Given the minimum gap of at least 14 goals it would be rather hard to do.

The remaining years where the gap was < 10 goals the AST voters got it right, 1951 neither Rollins nor Broda received AST honours due to a lack of games, 1954,55 Lumley's performance on a weaker team was recognized, and the other years saw the proper recognition of talent and performance, be it Lorne Chabot having an outstanding season or Wilf Cude being recognized as a good but not elite goalie.

Canadiens1958 is online now   Reply With Quote