View Single Post
Old
01-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Stewie G
Because Hitting!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Probably the same guys from 2010-2011, his first year where his assists far outpaced his goals.

I do expect his swede linemates to get plenty of chances to shoot. Green and Carlson should be looking to shoot if early indicators are accurate. They will be standing right behind him on nearly every rush, not an easy pass first in at LW.

1G 3A+ yesterday is meaningless against an ECHL team, but then again, maybe it isn't.

Its more about what I feel is where he wants to improve his game. Anyone can score with great passing. Warren Young had 40 taps in playing with Pepe.

Ovi wants to be more creative. While he can dazzle us with new some slick stick handling or shots, it may be easier to be more creative by passing. Oates Mr Assist himself should be encouraging better passing overall, as well.
Not to be ignored is the fact that that year is the first time that his assists far outpaced his goals and that last year he swung drastically back the other direction. It should also be noted that 3 of the other top 4 goal scorers at both ES and on the PP from that season are now gone.

I'd also argue that Ovechkin with a high assist/goal ratio is a less valuable player, especially on a team that has a number of question marks at wing. I'm all for switching up Alex's spot on the ice, but if the end result is a guy who is more of a distributer, I don't know if they're that much further ahead.

I know points are points and he can stand to round out his game, but I think the Caps are worse off if that 2010 season is more of a norm going forward than last year.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote