View Single Post
Old
01-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Yeah, I'm not completely sold on Perry as of yet either, but he does bring a fairly unique skillset to this team and has an outstanding track record with Team Canada. I guess it depends on what you want out of your 13th forward. Not to put words in Jack Slater's mouth, but he may see Perry as more of guy that can take a regular shift at RW on any of the four lines (i.e., rotate through 5 RWers - that's how I'm looking at it, at least) instead of a "traditional" 13th forward like Bergeron.

If we're looking for a more traditional 13th forward, I'd look first at Sharp or Carter, before Jordan Staal (though he wouldn't be a terrible choice, just a redundant one with Bergeron and Toews already there). Sharp can slot in at any position, on any line, can kill penalties effectively, QB a PP, has chemistry with Toews, and has big-game experience. Carter, while he has some warts, would bring a lot of speed + size to the international ice, C / RW versatility, has played with both Richards and Giroux in the past, has good offensive instincts, a cannon of a shot, and wouldn't look out of place defensively either - he's solid in that area of the game. We know that Hockey Canada likes him too, as he was looked at as a possible replacement for Getzlaf in 2010.

To comment quickly on the 5 Team Canada's Jack put together:

- Overall, incredible depth at center and defense.
- Its not until the lower lines on Team #3 that we get into wingers that aren't Olympic caliber (for Canada).
- Goaltending is a problem, obviously. Teams #1 and #2 could get by, but I wouldn't feel comfortable going into the OGs with the goaltending on any of the other teams. Not to mention that we're already at a slight disadvantage, vis-a-vis the other countries, with respect to the goaltending on Teams #1 and #2.
- Team #1 is obviously one of the favourites for Gold - think we can all agree on that.
- Team #2 is a medal contender, despite the goaltending; my belief is that some focus on chemistry amongst the forward lines and D pairings would make this a top-4 or top-5 team in the tournament.
- Team #3 - Not sure. With hot goaltending, they'd actually look a bit like the 2010 U.S. team. Would be concerned about Thornton's play on the larger ice surface, and riding RNH as our #1 or #2 center. Solid D group, and gritty wingers in the bottom six. Don't know; we probably wouldn't embarrass ourselves with this team, though.
- Team #4 and #5 - Not medal contenders. The D corps on #4 remains solid, but the goaltending is weak and the forward group includes maybe one or two guys that would contend for spots on Team #1.
I'm not sure of the particular skill set of Perry you are referring to other than the ones I mentioned, average to below average skater, prone to taking penalties, not a particularly skilled player without the puck, but can snipe 30 goals. I don't see how we need his skillset. All things being equal, I'll take the better skater 25-30 goal scorer who doesn't take penalties, can play in all 3 zones and is more versatile. Thanks Corey for 2010 Vancouver. Much appreciated, now step aside. ))) Sorry, I'm not a Perry fan. And not much of a fan of the idiots who work at Hockey Canada either.