View Single Post
Old
01-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
So in other words...if you COULD, you WOULD.
No, what I'm saying is if I had the credentials to demand a senior's salary I would ask for it. If we'Re talking Doughty vs. Subban, one of the two has proven he deserved it, the other hasn't.

Quote:
Also, how is he taking his employer hostage? I don't get what you mean? How do you know it's not the Habs who are low balling him? If you're current employer offered you a new contract which you thought wasn't worthy of your contributions and your talents, would you just shut up and sign it?
No, I probably wouldn't. The difference is that I can walk away and the company I work for would have to deal with freelance designers for a couple of weeks, it wouldn't cripple them. Starting without PK is quite crippling, which is why he and Meehan are holding out.

Quote:
Maybe you would, because you have no other choice...but PK does have a choice. He can sit at home and use his absence as a negotiation tool. It's well within his right, just like it's within the Montreal Canadiens right to not budge at all and let him sweat it out.
Actually I do have choice, just like any other young professional. It's also within my right to up and leave without giving a 2 week notice since it isn't in my contract, that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do or the best move to make for my career.

Quote:
As for him practicing with his teamates while he negotiated a contract? How dumb would that be? His agent is trying to negotiate a contract on his behalf, and he's hired to get the best possible contract for his client. Having PK practicing with the Habs takes away a whole lot of leverage for him...that makes no sense
Did I say anywhere that he should practice without a contract? No, I said he should be practicing with his team... In other words he should have already signed the damned thing if he and the team are so high on each other.

Quote:
As for MDZ...I don't see why he should sign a comparable contract and if the Habs are indeed trying to sign him to the same type of contract...then not only do I understand Subban/Meehan's position, but I fully support it.
Wether it's MDZ or players on our own team like Price and Pacioretty, they all signed short length transition contracts before scoring expensive, long-term contracts. Subban was great for us and he stopped the gap left by Markov last year. If he can demonstrate that this can repeated on a short term contract, then fine Doughty money it is... But that's in 1 or 2 years, not now.