View Single Post
Old
01-16-2013, 01:51 PM
CrAzYNiNe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I won't respond to you know a big analysis because i'm at work and on my cellphone but let just say i'm very sceptical about giving him a long contract yet... Okay if he wants a 8yrs deal at (4M$) I would consider it but over that he could become an albatross and untradable.
Fair enough.

But in what business world is there no risk vs reward? Right now we have a chance to have a very talented player on a respectable cap hit. With a cap next year at 64.3, he will be making 8.94% of the cap. If he takes up 7 million in cap hit in 2-4 years, we will have a harder time finding money for other players. 7 million cap hit is 10.88%. Trying to fit the 23 players in 100% when one players takes away 11% sure makes it tough. I think Subban has shown enough to have faith that he will earn a future million a year. We need to give it to him now to be able to benefit with a lower cap hit in the future.

Again this all is based on him reaching potential. I understand your point, but playing it safe here only hurts the habs in the future. If for whatever reason we need to trade him, a cap hit of 5.75 million isn't horrible and the rich Canadiens can easily eat half his paid salary as the new CBA has allowed them.