View Single Post
Old
01-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
In terms of star power, it's weak. At least to date. You only have a couple of real impact guys. Longevity means little to me in terms of comparing drafts of the past because the post-lockout NHL has been extremely friendly and generous to draftees in terms of playing time, simply because theyre so cheap.

The way I rate "star power" is top-10 scoring, postseason awards, postseason award voting and postseason all-star teams.

Outside of Kane and maybe Benn, it lacks star power. At least to date, which was my original point.

The 2008 draft has already produced three postseason all-star team guys, including a Norris and Richard winner.
Fair enough, but I think that's a bit flawed. If that's your criteria on 'star power' then 1999 was a great draft as it's produced:

- A Conn Smythe winner (Zetterberg, 07-08)
- Two Art Ross winners (D. Sedin 10-11, H. Sedin 09-10)
- One Hart winner (H. Sedin 09-10)
- All three have been, or are regularly in the top-10 in scoring

'99 and '96 are panned because very few of the top-picks panned out. '07 has a lot of late bloomers. 11 of the top-15 picks are regulars on an NHL squad as of today.

I dunno, just pointing some things out. Not many drafts instantly produce huge stars like 2008 did.