View Single Post
Old
01-16-2013, 02:53 PM
kingsfan
Yes my liege!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
An offer sheet is very unlikely as we would have no incentive not to match. Bernier is signed cheaply this year and we have no intention of carrying him next season. A signed Bernier to a moderate deal like that would make him more appealing and have no downside to the Kings. We would show him off this year and deal him for a little bit more value and maintain our insurance.
Oh I think we would match. I think DL would look at it more from the complications it would create having a backup on the roster making $3 million per who will likely only get 10-20 games a year, barring injury. This is compounded by the fact that we will be in a tight cap situation next year barring trades or letting Scuds, Penner and/or Gagne walk, all of which have to be replaced.

An additional factor is that Bernier's tarde value will decrease the higher his contract goes. If we keep him at $3 million per season, not as many teams will be willing to take a chance on him in hopes he can pan out as a starter as that is increased risk, especially if the offer is a long-term deal. If DL deals Bernier though after the season, then the acquiring team can try and negotiate a deal exclusively, one that they could stomach more, or even negotiate a contract as part of the deal.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote