View Single Post
Old
01-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
The poor billionaire isn't getting enough handouts.
As stated every time we discuss this, billionaires don't get to be billionaires pissing money away. Lets not derail the thread though. Agree to disagree.

It appears I'm wrong about front loading the contracts too - mid loading is the new front loading. Lebrun looks at the Zajak contract :

Quote:
2013-14 $3.5 million (includes $1 million in signing bonus)
2014-15 $5 million (includes $1 million in signing bonus)
2015-16 $6.5 million
2016-17 $6.5 million
2017-18 $6.5 million
2018-19 $6.5 million
2019-20 $5.75 million
2020-21 $5.75 million

The contract also includes a full no-trade clause throughout and, of course, is not front-loaded like the back-diving deals of the past CBA; the salary variance rule in the new CBA having its impact right off the hop.

Also, notice how the lowest salary amount comes next season in 2013-14 at $3.5 million? My guess is, Zajac’s camp, led by agent Kurt Overhardt, figured to protect against possible escrow payments. Certainly with the salary-cap allowance going down from $70.2 million to $64.3 million next season, escrow is a real possibility depending on how hockey-related revenue grows.

So a smart move by Overhardt and overall a heck of a contract done by the veteran agent.

Not sure most people would have pegged Zajac at $5.75 million a year. But I think it speaks to the respect Devils GM Lou Lamoriello has for his No. 1 center, and a strong belief that Zajac’s best hockey is front of him. I agree on that.
The Ducks are going to hate every part of this.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...al-set-a-trend