View Single Post
Old
01-16-2013, 06:49 PM
pondnorth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
There's "low population" like the situation in Winnipeg, and then there's "low population" as in "eclipsed by US college towns every Saturday during football season". Regina and/or Saskatoon both fall into that latter category.

There's also a question of corporate support, although I can't speak authoritatively on that one as I'm unaware as to what opportunities would be there. The size, however, suggests "not enough by a long shot".

Seriously, Winnipeg required what amounts to an out-of-town sugar daddy to be possible, and they're something like three or four times the size. I just don't see how it's feasible.

That said, the lack of a team there at any leagues lower than that - the AHL, in particular, comes to mind - strikes me as something of an oversight. Then again, folks may be waiting to see if Abbotsford manages to stick around, considering how far west Saskatchewan is relative to the rest of the league.
Mark Chipman,co-owner of the Winnipeg Jets is the main reason why the Jets came back.Thomson is partner and the Jets made money in their 1st year back.The basic model is solid and they have just scratched the surface.

pondnorth is offline   Reply With Quote