Old
01-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifroid View Post
Well, I'm not sure that's the 2nd center the Yotes were looking for...
That's my only problem with this too. Lombardi is not a second line center now (can't recall if he was when he was in Phoenix last). It'll still likely to be Hanzal on the first and Vermette on the second (no changes), with Lombardi centering the third (and most likely Korpikoski and Moss). What it does is drops Gordon to the fourth line center spot, which is where he should ideally be and almost ensures Chipchura is a healthy scratch.

Lombardi won't solve the Coyotes' lack of offense completely and like Sullivan, won't replace Whitney's production, but he should help a little bit, giving them three lines capable of scoring (Korpikoski and Moss aren't handicapped offensively either). I don't expect huge numbers from him but he definitely balances the lineup out a little bit and pushes Gordon to where he should be. Lombardi still has speed and can PK too. Might even get PP time; that's for Tippett to decide.

It's a fine trade for both teams. The Leaf lineup was clogged with him and Connolly both being big contracts only looking at third line time. One had to go and it lets the younger, probably better players play too. A third, if he re-signs, which I think is definitely possible based on how he does back, is good value for him. Even if it's a fourth in the end, it's what he was worth. Phoenix got a little bit more offense and got a center, which is their weakest position and he's someone they're very familiar with (management, coaches, and teammates). He played good hockey there the first time and Tippett seems to get the best out of these kinds of guys. Not bad at all, and as mentioned, very predictable. I think we were all just waiting for this one to happen. I know it's one I've been thinking about ever since McKenzie mentioned it.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote