View Single Post
Old
01-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Bullsmith

vCash: 500
To me, the word "tanking" is a bit of a distraction. Perhaps "not worrying about winning now, and being willing to trade wins now for value in the near future" is a more nuanced description of the way I hope the Habs approach this season. We need to protect Price and Subban, obvious targets in a violent league. We need to build a culture that hates losing and wants to win. But, let's face it. The team finished last in the east for a reason. Change bad luck to good luck and you still don't have close to the team that LA took into the playoffs last year. Meanwhile you have a new coach and GM, a last-place team facing maybe the lowest expectations in my lifetime (45 years) and what seems possibly to be an amazing handful of prospects up for the draft next year. And instead of suffering through 82 games of sucktitude to get one, the price of a top five pick is only 48 games this time around. Our core group of young talent are going to be in their primes for more than enough years to play with Galchenyuk and, say, a Seth Jones. If you don't get him in the draft, he ain't coming on the market any time soon.

I can't watch the team and enjoy a loss, quite the opposite. Don't get me wrong, but this isn't about being Edmonton or about how losing teams often stay in the basement. The Habs are in a fairly unique situation. The time to lose is now.