Old
01-16-2013, 11:47 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
When looking at the Vezina results, I was struck by how close Mike Liut actually was to being a 2-time 1st Team All Star.

1987 VEZINA: Ron Hextall 65 (8-7-4); Mike Liut 60 (7-8-1); Grant Fuhr 19 (1-3-5);
1987 AS GOALTENDER: Ron Hextall 198 (22-28-4); Mike Liut 193 (27-18-4); Grant Fuhr 42 (4-3-13);

I'm not sure if Liut will be in my top 4, but he should probably find his way into my top 8.
I'll be that guy to advocate it yet again.

Luongo's in. Liut is basically Luongo of his era, with an even better top end. He has a Pearson, very easily could have had two Vezinas, and very nearly won a Hart against a Gretzky that absolutely obliterated the scoring race. Hardware isn't the end all be all, but I can honestly say I feel Liut meant more to his teams then Luongo did to Vancouver.

Given what else is up for vote this round I don't see much that should be keeping him out. He has better longevity then Thomas and Lundqvist (though that one will probably change next time we do this project), he doesn't have the system argument against him like Connell does, and quite frankly Cheevers getting more votes then him last round is outright confusing.

Will be interesting to see where Hern falls in all this.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote