View Single Post
Old
01-16-2013, 11:51 PM
original islander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadnais1972 View Post
I was talking to some relatives over the holidays who live in Philly and we were reminiscing about the 1974 Flyers-Bruins Stanley Cup Finals. I went to every game in Boston for that series, and still vividly remember Bobby Clarke scoring in OT in game 2. To me (and most Flyers fans) this goes down as one of the biggest goals in Flyers history giving the Flyers home ice advantage and more importantly, giving them a ton of confidence.

Moving ahead six years later, Im wondering how do Islander fans look back at those first 2 games of the 1980 quaterfinals? The Isles were coming of 2 disappointing playoffs, losing to the Leafs in 78 and the Rangers in 79. Both games (in Boston) went into OT with the Isles winning both. We all know that the Islanders had the better team that year. Maybe not in regular season points but Boston was an aging team that was about to have a couple of down seasons. And this was the start of the Isles dynasty years. But one lucky bounce here or there and the Bruins head back to Long Island up 2-0. Are these 2 OT goals (by Gillies and Bourne) looked at the same way as the Clarke goal in 1974?
Unfortunately not looked at the same as the Clarke goal by most. In some ways those goals were the springboard for the Islander cups. Most fans remember the brawls but the OT goals helped the Isles get their confidence back after losing to the Maple Leafs in overtime in Game 7 in 1978.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote