View Single Post
Old
01-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
I'll repost what I wrote in the Black/White thread as I didn't see this thread first. First off though, that one poster you quoted "bluecowman" is very new to the Canes boards and posts some of the strangest stuff. I wouldn't use him to represent the fan base. I wouldn't characterize the fan base as "butt hurt", but Sutter was universally liked and most fans were sorry to see him leave.

As a Canes fan, I was confident Sutter would quickly become a fan favorite in Pittsburgh. He was one of the most universally liked among Canes fans and while we are glad to have Jordan on the team, it was painful to see Sutter go.

He has great speed (which you are now seeing), so that's not something new for this year and he also has very under-rated hands / play-making skills. As a 21 year old, when he was brought up and used in an all around role (not shut-down), he had 21 goals and 40 points in 72 games. That season, he saw significant PP time and had 5G/5A on the PP. I had hoped he would get more offensive / PP opportunities in Carolina, but the coaches felt he was too important in the shut-down role, which he excelled at.

Since that 40 point season, he has become a much BETTER player even though his scoring was down as he was used in a shut-down role without any offensive talent on his wings (Dwyer and Nodl). He had the smartest hockey IQ on the team. He's always in the right spot, always makes the right play and rarely makes a mistake and you can consistently count on him night after night...he doesn't take nights or shifts off. Some may claim he isn't always aggressive enough (taking the puck in the zone) and will comment that he sometimes just dump it, but that's because he's smart enough to know when to push and when to dump it and re-group or get off the ice

A great player to have on any team and we were really was sad to see him go, but you guys will love him and I have a reason to root for the Pens now.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote