Thread: Today I...
View Single Post
Old
01-17-2013, 08:50 AM
sxHarr05

vCash: 500
Retroactive to last Wednesday (1-9-13):
For the first time in 17 years took to the ice with stick and some gear. I've been taking the kids to public skating for about a year and have played some roller on and off over the years but this was the first time in nearly two decades I was on ice with hockey being the purpose. Felt great, too. About twenty minutes into the "Stick and puck" session my back started to remind me I'm going on 40 but after a short break I went the rest of the two hours with no issues. Had such a great time I went back Friday and got asked to participate in a scrimmage (a body is a body, right?). Ended up with 2 goals and an assist (scrimmage goals, I know. Still felt good), plus the hit (incidental contact, but I "won") of the game.

Funny thing is that despite the long layoff I feel/play better than when I was in a rec league. I'm doing things on the skates naturally that I almost had to think about before. I suppose it's because I'm just having a blast with it and enjoying my time out there instead of trying to impress my peers. My plan is to do this 2-3 times a week as my work schedule allows and maybe, MAYBE sign up for the "draft" for the 30+ C league come next fall. If this is going to be my mid-life crisis, I'll take it.

Last edited by sxHarr05: 01-17-2013 at 08:57 AM.