View Single Post
Old
01-17-2013, 10:32 AM
kg458
Capstronaut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I soooo disagree with that. Him joining a team like that isn't an option, obviously. But you bet that players in the big leagues and those on their way there took notice. You bet there'll be a lot of people watching their first Bundesliga match next year (or first in ages), even if it's only the BVB-FCB. It helps the spotlight on the league. Today, there's newspapers in a boatload of countries explaining their readers Guardiola decided to move to a great up and coming league, with fantastic talent, great stadiums, fans, and so on. There's quotes from all kinds of star players mentioning these things. I don't think I'd even be bold in saying that this already has changed the situation, and helped the Bundesliga.

The attraction of the league doesn't spike when a guy, say, on Hamburg's level or even a good tad higher transfers to Hamburg. That doesn't have much of an impact. Some will talk about a somewhat uncommon destination, but that's really reserved to those already converted. When a guy like Guardiola picks that league, that has everyone talking. Players in Spain sure as hell take notice. So do talents. A Spaniard taking a job in Germany is front-page material in England, so everyone there's getting lectures from commentators about how it makes sense (because that's about every article I've read from England), given the state of German football. This already has made the Bundesliga a little more attractive to players. It already has put a seed in a few kids' heads about phantasizing of playing for Pep, with Ribery, or whoever - in Germany. (Obviously not your average Spanish kid, but we all knew the odd ones that would always go with foreign teams. I think most of us were those for a stretch, maybe. ) I'd be shocked if this didn't help the league, made players look at Bundesliga teams as destinations that they wouldn't have thought about much before. Maybe bring up to their agent that actually, that German league didn't seem too bad, either.

You couldn't buy better advertisement. And while our last TV deal was signed relatively shortly ago IIRC, one could already bet that this will increase the value of the next one, simply for international broadcasts. I'm pretty sure that when you see the reactions among other German officials, they are happy for the league because they are as convinced that I am that this can be massive for the league.
Almost everything you said above about improving the league would be equally valid if Pep was going to a smaller club like Hamburg. The fact that Pep is Pep is what is bringing the majority of the media spotlight here. I'll admit that him going to Munich magnifies things a little, but had he gone to Hamburg, there would have been probably an equal amount of stories about him wanting to build a club up, etc. Him coaching anywhere in the Germany is going to draw Spanish players and media attention, and attract new viewers.

On top of that, had he gone to a club like Hamburg, one would think that would help to increase parity (not that it really needs to be increased as you've pointed out), which I believe is the point JVR was trying to make.

All of that said, I completely understand his choice. With how this year is going though, it's looking like he'll have pretty big shoes to fill, at least in the short term.