View Single Post
Old
01-17-2013, 10:38 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Tim Connolly going on waivers ... could be a potential compliance buyout or he could clear and then be traded (potentially another salary retention move).

This one worries me a bit. GM Joe has shown he is willing to take the suggestions of his players in the past for potential roster moves (Ribs pushing for Ryder). Connolly has history with Roy, and with Benn still unsigned he could be a basically free option for help on the PP.

Connolly has traditionally earned his points on the PP, and Toronto gave him limited minutes last season. Mirtle makes some good points about why he actually had a pretty decent season considering he wasn't used properly by the Leafs.

More than likely there's no worry about Dallas taking a flyer on the guy, but his name did catch my eye when I saw the waiver report.

That said, if he cleared waivers and Toronto was willing to take a warm body, it might make sense to swap him for Nystrom. Nystrom was a decent player for Dallas last year, but he doesn't have a future here. I think it be a limited risk to try and add some scoring punch. If it doesn't work out, there are younger options to provide solid defensive play from the wing.

You potentially have a 3rd/4th line of Morrow-Fiddler-Connolly.