View Single Post
Old
01-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Doctor No
Retired

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Osgood was, in almost every season of his career, one of the key players on his team. He had one losing season, which is a season he spent battling injuries. He has some of the best regular season AND playoff numbers ever. But most simply this: When Osgood was in net, compared to other guys he tandemed with, you knew there was a higher likelihood he was going to win. Only Martin Brodeur won more regular season games during Osgood's career. Only Brodeur and Roy won more playoff games during his career. Did you know that? Is it included on his little bio page? It should be. All of Ed Belfour's accomplishments except for the 95 2nd team and the 99 Cup came in his three years before Osgood entered the league.

So realistically, in overlapping time, Osgood put up better accomplishments than Belfour, or Barrasso/Vanbiesbrouck/Richter/Joseph (who some consider better). That leaves Hasek/Roy/Brodeur. That puts him top five, unless you want to debate Carey, Kolzig, Theodore, Kiprusoff, and the three years he was injured when Tim Thomas and Ryan Miller were winning awards. Somehow, I don't think that's a debate the first four would win, and the last two it's like debating Greg Millen vs. Martin Brodeur, or Sidney Crosby vs. Steve Yzerman.
Of the things you list here, I agree with all of the facts (including his postseason win total - despite your little dig at "his little bio page". Thanks. I appreciate that.)

However, all of the facts listed here tell me that Detroit had a great team. Teams wins games. Goaltenders are a part of a team, but are not the team.

Give me some evidence that Osgood was one of the five best goaltenders of his generation - don't give me evidence that Detroit was one of the five best teams of their generation. We already know that.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote