View Single Post
01-17-2013, 10:59 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Call me crazy, and I know I don't have anything to base this on, but I'm actually not so sure if Getzlaf or (even moreso) Perry actually are the ones that want an 7/8-year deal. I personally don't really doubt that Murray would hand it to them in this situation. And even if it's illogical from the business-side for Getz/Perry to not cash in now that they're in their prime for the years beyond 30 as well, I'm somehow not convinced they're really ready to do that. It's entirely speculation on my part, but I would not be shocked to hear they feel right now, that they'd still like to continue here, keep working on the job they started, but also not quite yet willing to handcuff themselves for the mid-term future. (Even if there are ways to get out of places even on long-term deals, obviously.) I'm really not sure Murray's a, let alone the only thing stopping a long-term deal. It would be the obvious expectation, empirically, but I'm just not sure.
I completely agree. 8 years seems a little awkward for a 27 year old. It takes them to 35, while say a 5 year deal would take them to 32 years old, an age where they can get big money again, and a lot easier than at 35. They could get their retirement contracts at 32 and still get paid very well.

Man I can't believe how old these guys already are. Seems like just a couple years ago they broke into the league