Thread: Prospect Info: The Official 2013 Draft Thread
View Single Post
Old
01-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Xspyrit

vCash: 500
We have gathered so many high picks already... Didn't mean we all drafted them, but we traded or signed for 5 of them.

We have TEN (10) top-15 picks on the team or close to be (at the exception of Filatov)...

Player Name, Drafting Team (year), Round, Overall Pick

Jason Spezza : Ottawa (2001) 1,2
Kyle Turris : Phoenix (2007) 1,3
Milan Michalek : San Jose (2003) 1,6
Sergei Gonchar : Washington (1992) 1,14
Nikita Filatov : Columbus (2008) 1,6
Erik Karlsson : Ottawa (2008) 1,15
Jared Cowen : Ottawa (2009) 1,9
Chris Phillips : Ottawa (1996) 1,1
Mika Zibanejad : Ottawa (2011) 1,6
Cody Ceci : Ottawa (2012) 1,15

For those who like prospects because of their sexy draft spot, I think this would suffice... I'm not saying stop talking about prospects or the draft but the "tanking" mentality has to stop. I'm not targeting anyone as I haven't even read this thread.

I'm just saying that tanking is for losers. Look at Edmonton and Columbus, I'm happy we haven't sucked for so long. Edmonton might become good but what's to be proud of when you got rewarded for sucking so much?

In that sense, I'd rather be the Red Wings than the Penguins.

Anyway, high picks... does it really matter in the end? Look at this list

Guillaume Latendresse : Montreal (2005) 2,45
Daniel Alfredsson : Ottawa (1994) 6,133
Jakob Silfverberg : Ottawa (2009) 2,39
Mark Stone : Ottawa (2010) 6,178
Stephane Da Costa : Undrafted
Peter Regin : Ottawa (2004) 3,87
Zack Smith : Ottawa (2008) 3,79
Colin Greening : Ottawa (2005) 7,204
Chris Neil : Ottawa (1998) 6,161
Patrick Wiercioch : Ottawa (2008) 2,42
Robin Lehner : Ottawa (2009) 2,46
Craig Anderson : Chicago (2001) 3,73
Ben Bishop : St. Louis (2005) 3,85

And that without including several other prospects who weren't taken necessarily that "high" (like Prince, Noesen, Puempel, Petersson, Wikstrand, Hoffman, Grant, Pageau...)

Quality can be found anywhere in the draft, and our best player (well on par with Spezza) was not that high of a pick (Karlsson at 15th)

What's important is the # of where the guy was listed on the INTERNAL list of the team... I believe they were very happy to land Ceci at 15th last year and probably Wikstrand with a 7th as well.

That's why I don't really care where we draft. I know we will draft a great prospect because this sccouting/drafting/development team is one of the best, if not the best, I have ever witnessed. It's incredible the amount of potential they have drafted in relation to the spots where they pick.

The only real concern I see is to not having the possiblity to draft a very high end player (like with a top-3 pick), but we already got 2 (Karlsson and Spezza) and maybe we are about to develop another or two... After all, Alfredsson was taken in the 6th round

Hopefully, we are able to package some of our prospect depht to acquire another star player down the road (example like we tried with Nash, or a guy like Bobby Ryan, etc.)

But even that being said, who knows how guys like Turris, Zibanejad, Lehner, Stone, Ceci and Noesen will develop? (or even Da Costa, Puempel, Petersson)

IMO, we have already enough star power or upcoming star power to do some noise. No need to tank, just need to continue developing.

Last edited by Xspyrit: 01-17-2013 at 01:01 PM.