View Single Post
Old
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
My issue is that Strait developed about as well as a defensive defenseman as anyone could've reasonably expected since being drafted, yet here we are...a team with a ton of defensive issues, and we're waiving him over a less reliable guy in Lovejoy.

Why even bother drafting defensemen like Strait in the higher rounds if we're just going to jettison them the first chance we get - in favour of a marginal 30 year old coming off a bad year?

Regardless of whether he gets claimed or not, it seems like a curious philosophy to me.
Yup that is my issue with this as well. It doesn't matter if he's just a depth dman now. We used a 3rd round pick and spent years developing him and just when it's time to reap the benefits, we put him on waivers. This is likely to continue happening in the next few years.

Plus, Strait may not be flashy but he's very dependable so he's the perfect number 6-7 guy to have. Lovejoy may be a better PMD and have more offensive instincts, but has defensive warts and takes chances that you don't want your depth guys taking (or I wouldn't). So in the scheme of things, it's not a big deal if we lose him, but it's the philosophy of it that puzzles me.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote