View Single Post
Old
01-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
Considering that the % of players drafted in the 3rd round that actually become NHL regulars isn't all that high, I wouldn't call it a high pick.

It's a numbers game. There have been much, much better players the last couple of years (and each year) than Strait.

I think people are getting more emotionally attached with this than they should. Maybe the fact that Lovejoy is still on the team has something to do with that.

Like I said, I wouldn't be happy if Bortuzzo is lost for nothing, but Stait not so much.
The thing is that in and of itself you are right. Many here are looking at this solely as this deal and not big picture. I am looking at that big picture more. A number of us have been openly worrying about drafting all this defense, we drafted two more with our first round picks this year, and in DP passed up more highly regarded forward talent. And we were told not to worry, we can always trade surplus defensive talent for forwards. Just look at the Goligoski deal! This has the feel of just the first shoe dropping. Not that we are going to lose Despres on waivers for nothing, or anything like that. But we are not going to get value for a few of these chips just in a sheer numbers game.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote