View Single Post
Old
01-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Ah, alright, thanks for the report.

Yeah, that's the only time I saw him play this year. And don't get me wrong, I think he looked really good, and thought he could've been very effective given better linemates. But I thought there might be a reason related to his play as to why he was put on the fourth line. And I also went to check out his stats from the KHL and saw they weren't improved over last year, so I just figured I'd ask here. In Ufa, he actually was very noticeable in all games despite not scoring much and playing on the fourth line, though.
I agree with other posters who felt that he was one of the strongest Russian forwards in the SSS. I also think that he was one of the top 6 forwards last year in Calgary. Obviously, somewhere between mid-November and Dec 26, Varnakov got down on Kosov. It may have been warranted, but I don't think Varnakov has a great deal of credibility from anyone. All of his strategies and tactics were an abysmal failure, IMO, and I don't think too many will dispute the notion that his coaching was a big reason why Russia disappointed in many respects. When you are juggling lines in the medal round because almost nothing has been established, the events are in control of you rather than the reverse.

In regard to his performance with Magnitka, except for Yakupov, there weren't really any 19-year olds who were racking up big statistics in the KHL. There were a few who were skating regular shifts, but none really dominated or were the key players on the team. In many ways, kids in the VHL had a better chance to get sufficient playing time to really show what they could do and improve their game.

Last edited by Yakushev72: 01-17-2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: omission