View Single Post
Old
01-17-2013, 03:11 PM
bjac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Ultimately, I will just claim one thing:

PK is in his right to demand what he wants. And so is Bergevin's right to refuse such terms.

Vice-Versa.

I don't care if PK does get signed long or short term. But I am not gonna give MB a free pass just because he wants to be dogmatic about some sort of "structure"
This structure is what helps make good organizations great. Look at Detroit. Probably the most successful franchise of the past 20 years, installed a "dogmatic salary structure" in their own organization many years ago. Noone got paid more than Lindstrom, and everyone had to pay their dues (especially young players). As their players mature, they sign very standard and predicatble contracts. This does not prevent anyone in Detroit from making good money either. Anyway, this obviously worked out well for Detroit, so what is your problem with MB trying to do the same thing. Standard organizational rules and procedures when it comes to players, and more specifically their contracts can only HELP an organization. It adds consistancy and stability.

So I DO give Bergevin a free pass on this one. If PK wants to put himself in the position to be "made and example of" then so be it. That was his choice (along with Mehans). Agents need to understand that just because MB is a new GM doesn't mean that they can try to take advantage of him.